Science tells us we must cut climate emissions in half this decade to prevent climate catastrophe. It's all hands on deck to prevent the worst impacts of the climate crisis through small actions that add up. Take action using a suggestion below.
- Let your Representative and House Energy Committee members know it’s time for Michigan to open its doors to community solar. Michigan law currently prohibits widespread access to community solar. This must change. Millions of people and businesses in Michigan are being shut out of solar because they don't own their own home or office building or their roof is unsuitable for solar. Community solar would allow all Michiganders to sign up for solar projects regardless of income level or whether they rent or own.
- Tell Biden to shut down the Enbridge Line 5 crude oil pipeline. The Line 5 oil pipeline threatens the Great Lakes and our warming climate. Join the campaign that has the best chance of shutting down an operating pipeline and help to force a transition to carbon-free energy.
- Sign on for a Strong Michigan Healthy Climate Plan. In September 2020, Gov. Whitmer took major executive action and committed our state to be carbon neutral by 2050. The state is currently developing a plan for achieving this goal, and we must get it right. Add your name to our letter, urging specific actions to achieve our goals.
- Educate your representatives and policymakers about climate change. Any time you can meet with your lawmaker to express your concern for climate action, you help spur action. Check out our talking points, the guide to running a good meeting, and sample letters to the editor.
- Join MiCAN as a member (it's free!) The people and organizations that make up our network make the climate movement possible. You can view our organizational members here and learn about local climate work in your community.
- Attend climate events in your area and invite others to get involved. Together, we can make a difference.
- Donate to MiCAN to support our work to build our climate movement, elevate climate as a top issue, and advance ambitious and equitable solutions.
Thinking will not overcome fear but action will. - W. Clement Stone