Thursday, August 17, 2023
NCMC Library Conference Center
1515 Howard St
Petoskey, MI 49770
In June 2023, a federal court found that Canadian oil company Enbridge is trespassing on the sovereign lands of the Bad River Band in northern Wisconsin, and ordered it to pay fines and remove its Line 5 pipeline within three years. Legal experts and indigenous leaders will discuss the recent litigation in Wisconsin and Michigan; the Anishinaabe viewpoint and relationship with Enbridge; and smarter alternatives to the 41-mile Wisconsin pipeline reroute and the proposed four-mile tunnel under the Straits of Mackinac that do not threaten the Great Lakes with a catastrophic oil spill.
- JoAnne Cook, Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, Tribal member
- Netawn Kiogima, Little Traverse Bay Band of Odawa Indians, Tribal member
- Deleta Smith, Little Traverse Bay Band of Odawa Indians, Tribal member
- Holly T. Bird, Attorney, Michigan Water Protectors Legal Task Force and Co-Executive Director, Title Track
- Liz Kirkwood, Attorney and Executive Director, FLOW (For Love of Water)
Your fee includes a buffet lunch beginning at 11:30 am, lecture begins at noon.