Michigan Climate Action Network is hiring an Engagement Director
Title: Engagement Director
Reports to: MiCAN Director
Location: Southeast or West Michigan
Salary Range: $40,000 - $50,000
The Michigan Climate Action Network (MiCAN) is a statewide network of 50 organizations and thousands of individuals working to solve the climate crisis by building a more powerful movement, elevating climate to be a top priority in our state, and moving forward ambitious and equitable solutions at the local and state level. We have become one of the largest networks and leading voices for climate action in Michigan.
We envision a clean energy future that benefits everyone – especially those most impacted by pollution and climate; creates good, family-sustaining jobs; and moves at the pace that science demands to prevent worsening climate impacts. Michigan made significant progress this year, and we have an opportunity to build on Governor Whitmer’s climate executive order and the 100% renewable energy bills introduced in the legislature to get the kind of bold climate justice solutions we need. Achieving this is going to take everyone, with environmental justice, labor, climate, and other movements coming together around a shared set of policies and priorities with frontline communities and environmental justice groups in the lead to ensure the solutions prioritize impacted communities and workers. MiCAN is seeking an Engagement Director to lead our coalition and movement building work in this direction, focusing on supporting the work in Southeast and West Michigan, where strong justice-led organizing and movement building is already happening and where we are already engaged in some of this work.
Subscribe to our podcast, Speaking of Resilience.
The ideal candidate is an effective leader with experience building diverse partnerships and working with volunteers. You will join a passionate and professional team at MiCAN and at our host organization, the Groundwork Center. We strive to create a positive, collaborative, and inclusive work environment that gives staff the support to grow and be leaders in their field.
- Work with MiCAN leadership to develop a long-term movement building plan that focuses on authentic partnerships grounded in social justice and racial equity;
- Build new and deepen existing partnerships, especially with environmental justice organizations and community leaders in impacted communities, and with youth, health, and labor partners;
- Represent MiCAN in coalitions, meetings, and at events, and offer capacity and support for partners’ priorities, campaigns, and events;
- Develop policy goals and campaigns for bold and equitable climate solutions;
- Recruit and manage a small group of volunteers;
- Organize meetings, webinars, and outreach events, and assist with organizing MiCAN meetings and events;
- Support MiCAN team in efforts to center diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of our work;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least four years of experience in community organizing, advocacy, public policy, communications, or related field;
- Understanding of issue advocacy, climate change, and social justice;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to cultivate relationships with a variety of people, including community activists, volunteers, decision-makers, and organization leaders;
- Experience developing partnerships or building coalitions with racially diverse groups;
- Commitment to racial and environmental justice and solving the climate crisis;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills;
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel throughout lower Michigan (once it is safe to do so after COVID-19).
- Existing relationships with organizations and community partners in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and/or other Michigan communities;
- Understanding of equitable climate and clean energy policy solutions;
- Experience engaging volunteers and developing leaders; and
- Public speaking skills and experience.
Benefits: This position has a salary range of $40,000-50,000 depending on experience, plus generous vacation and health benefits, retirement contribution matching, and a technology stipend. This position also has opportunities for advancement.
Location: The position will be located in Southeast or West Michigan, and will report to and coordinate regularly with MiCAN staff located in the Traverse City area.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Engagement Director” by December 11, 2020.
MiCAN and our host organization, the Groundwork Center, are an Equal Opportunity Employer and are committed to an inclusive workplace and non-discrimination regardless of race or ethnicity, religion, class, gender or gender identity, ability, or sexual orientation.
*The safety and well-being of our staff, contractors, and communities is our top priority. Travel responsibilities for this position have been paused and replaced with remote communications in response to COVID-19. These responsibilities will resume in-person once it is safe to do so.